The Village of Montgomery offers residential properties FREE bulk brush collection twice each year, once in the spring and in the fall. The spring Bulk Brush Program falls in the first full week of May and the fall collection is the first full week of October.
Residents must place brush for pick up in the parkway the Sunday prior to the beginning of the collection week. The Public Works Department will make one pass through each neighborhood/home. Once they go through the area, unfortunately, they will not return and residents would need to follow the separate guidelines for brush pick up through the Village's waste haul contractor.
2022 Brush Collection Cycles:
Spring | May 2
Fall | October 3
Village of Montgomery Bulk Brush Pick-Up Guidelines & Resident Tips for Fall and Spring Pick Up
- This service is provided to residential properties only. The Bulk Brush Program does not extend to commercial, industrial, or other non-residential properties.
- Brush must be on the property from which it originates (VOM Code; Section 9-45). Brush piled in the right of way behind your address, or brush not originating from your address, will not be collected. The brush may be placed in the parkway for removal up to one week before the scheduled pickup date.
- Brush must be stacked neatly in the parkway by the Sunday evening before the scheduled pickup week.
- Brush blocked by parked cars or put out late after the single pass through the area will not be picked up. If it is not visible or accessible at the time of the passthrough, the disposal of the brush becomes the responsibility of the homeowner.
- Pile the brush neatly in one direction, unbundled (not tied), with the bigger trunk portions or cut ends facing the street. Brush piles should not be taller than three feet high and should not obstruct the sidewalk, driveways, or pedestrian pathways.
- Twigs, leaves, and smaller yard debris should be placed in a yard waste bag for removal by the Village’s regular garbage hauling provider.
- The intent of the Bulk Brush Program is not branches, logs, or tree stumps as a result of large-scale tree trimming or removal.
- Branches must be no smaller than 1 inch in diameter and no larger than 4 inches in diameter, and not shorter than 3 feet in length. Public Works Crews are instructed not to pick up piles that include bushes with roots and dirt attached, grape or other vines, lumber, plywood, or construction materials (including but not limited to metal objects, concrete/stone, etc.). Although these rules are for safety reasons, piles that are not neatly stacked or contain items not considered bulk brush will not be collected.
- If you do not meet the guidelines, a tag will be left behind explaining why it was not collected. In addition, you will need to adjust the stack to meet the requirements of the weekly collection by the Village’s waste hauler provider (refuse contractor).
The Village’s waste hauler, LRS Recycling, offers weekly brush pickup and collection on your regular trash day, with different rules and guidelines than the Bulk Brush Program. For weekly brush collected by LRS Recycling, bundles of brush or branches must be tied with twine, should not exceed 2’ wide by 2’ high, and cannot exceed 4’ in length or 50 pounds in weight. Residents can put out an unlimited number of yard waste bags and properly bundled brush each week for no additional charge from April 1to November 30.
If you have any questions about the Bulk Brush Program, Village officials encourage residents to contact the Public Works Department at (630) 896-9241.